Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Congressman Cohen Co-Sponsoring the Hate Crimes Bill in US House

I received two e-mails today about the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act (H.R. 1913 ) that is up for a vote by the Judiciary Committee in the U.S. House of Representatives this week in Washington, D.C.

The first message was from David Fowler of Family Action of Tennessee* who encouraged me to send a message to my Congressman to tell him that I oppose H.R. 1913. Fowler is telling everyone who will listen that H.R. 1913 will send pastors who preach against homosexuality to jail (a terrible lie).

After grumbling at my inbox for a few minutes, I received a second message about the Federal Hate Crimes Bill from my Congressman, Steve Cohen of the 9th District, who wrote to reply to my recent inquiry to him:
Thank you for taking the time to share your views about H.R. 1913, the Local Law Enforcement Hate Crimes Prevention Act. I have heard from hundreds of constituents about the bill and they expressed a variety of viewpoints. I am pleased to share that I have proudly added my name to the long list of co-sponsors.

In Tennessee, I co-sponsored the Tennessee Hate Crimes Bill and I helped pass a civil rights law disallowing state funding for any group that discriminates. I oppose unjust discrimination and I believe that each and every one of us has the right to live with equal protection under the law. I am eager to see H.R. 1913 signed into law and I thank you for your support.
The second e-mail made me much happier. So, no thanks, Mr. Fowler. My Congressman has already received the right message.

*Did anyone realize that the shortened acronym for Family Action of Tennessee is FAT? Well, this citizen is going FAT-free.

No comments: