Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Constitution makes an appearance in House debates

In Thursday morning's House debate on HB 0082, which would expand the gun authorization of judges, Rep. Susan Lynn gave an interesting and even eloquent argument about the equal protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment in opposition to Rep. Fincher's amendment to the bill that would allow legislators the same privileges.

I knew she was a fan of the Tenth Amendment, but I admit every time she or someone else brought it up, I found myself asking aloud, "What about the Fourteenth?" She knows it well and made good use of it on the floor. Obviously, I'd like to see much more extensive use made of the Fourteenth Amendment with respect to some other legislation being considered this session. But I have to give her props.

No comments: