- Which governmental entity or entities SHOULD have responsibility for funding schools? Why?
- What funding streams (i.e. taxes, fees, etc.) are most appropriate for funding our schools? Why?
- How do you define equitable funding of schools and how do we achieve it?
- What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of a Joint Board of Control? If there were a JBC, to what functions should it be limited, if any?
- What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of establishing special school districts? If new special school districts were established for MCS and SCS, should they have taxing authority? Why or why not?
- What are the advantages and/or disadvantages of the City of Memphis taking over Memphis City Schools and appointing the school board and superintendent? Under this scenario, who should be responsible for funding Memphis City Schools.
I, for one, look forward to reading the responses posted by our community and hope you will participate. Thanks to Commissioner Carpenter for promoting this conversation.