Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Too close to call is a good place to start...

...with English Only, that is. The Tennessean's poll of 200 voters (not as big of a sample as I would have liked) indicates there is a slightly larger group of voters who oppose the English only ballot measure than support it. The margin of error is plus or minus 6 points.

I have to admit that I'm surprised. I figured the opponents would be way behind. The numbers should give encouragement to the groups that I have heard are mobilizing to fight the initiative. I can see a realistic fundraising case being made to support the Vote No campaign, even though many will be tapped out because of the economy and contributions for the November elections. People like to support a winner and it's clear that there is a chance the Vote No forces can win in January.

No comments: