Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

20 come out in the cold to protest Brentwood hotel firings

David Hill (above) and Leonard Stoddard say they were recently fired from the Arte Hotel (formerly Holiday Inn) on Old Hickory Blvd. in Brentwood for being gay.

This morning I went to the protest at about 9:00 a.m. and by the time I left at 10:30 a.m. there were about 20 protesters on the sidewalk in front of the hotel. Passersby saluted with frequent horn honks.

David and Leonard said that they had both filed complaints against the hotel with the Metro Nashville Human Relations Commission. I hope those complaints are investigated thoroughly so the public can have a record of what has happened.

More photos from the protest here.

Update: Out & About Newspaper's photos and coverage.

Update 2: WSMV did a story tonight at the 6:00 report. I'll link it if it comes up. They reported a dozen people there, which there may have been after I left. But I made a list, and I can name or identify 22 people who were there when I was.


No comments: