Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

"Outings" story update

The Hollis F. Price Middle College High School "outings" led the 6 PM and 10 PM broadcasts on WMC Channel 5 last night. I really admire the courage of the young students who have stepped forward to challenge their Principal, high school, and the city school system.

Twenty years ago, when I was in a student at White Station High School (a Memphis City School), I had the luxury of coming out at my own pace. The Principal at Hollis Price violated the privacy of these young men and created a hostile atmosphere in which they were verbally harrassed by teachers and students. I cannot imagine what they have experienced.

In February, I was horrified to hear about the Oxnard, California middle school student who was shot and killed by a fellow student because of his sexual orientation. Could something like this happen in Memphis? I hope and pray that the brave efforts of the students at Hollis Price will lead to policies that will prevent harrassment and violence toward GLBT students in the classroom.

No comments: