Grand Divisions

Tennessee Equality Project seeks to advance and protect the civil rights of our State’s gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons and their families in each Grand Division.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Just your friendly neighborhood, non-partisan paper

"We're not conservative or liberal; we are local," says the Jackson Sun's Steve Coffman:

So that's why I'm confused when I hear people talk about "that liberal Jackson Sun." Upon careful review, it just doesn't stick.

What concerns me when I hear such statements is that they sometimes appear to be fueled by talk show hosts who make their living dividing and classifying Americans as one thing or another, for us or against us. I don't know about you, but I don't fit neatly into any of those classifications. I hold some views that many would consider liberal. I hold others that many would consider conservative. Please don't paint me, and please don't paint this newspaper with one brush before you use your own head to make an informed decision, rather than applying some talk show act's stereotypes.

After all, most of the issues we at The Jackson Sun take a stand on involve things going on right here in West Tennessee. They are neither Republican nor Democrat, liberal nor conservative. They are local. And we are a local newspaper.



No comments: